Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Brief Father's Day Reflections....

This Father's Day Ihad the chance to see my best friend and his daughter, just over a year old, just learning how to walk, and very curious about her surroundings. As a frequent spectator of other people, it was interesting to see the trust that was there between parent and child. The little one would run out a slight distance (no more than fifteen feet) and then run back to be held safely. Such things are deeply touching, and a reflection of how life ought to be.

It was nice to spend father's day with my friends, even if my tennis game was cancelled on account of lightning. Spending time with friends (at any rate, not spending it alone in social misanthropy) is a valuable thing, and I am thankful to have friends. It is especially valuable on a day like Father's Day, where for the first time I must mourn the passing of my father, rather than buy him dryly humorous and somewhat mocking father's day cards that poke fun of the passage of time. That said, it is late, and though there is much I wish to say, there is no time, so I must bid farewell until another day.

P.S. Anonymous posting is now disabled. Nathan out.

No comments: