Thursday, April 21, 2005

Finally, a new post...

My apologies, watchers of my blog (which have increased due to a matter I will discuss shortly), but I have been unable to post onto the blog recently due to the connection being too slow. There are some who have complained about my last blog, considering it immature and in poor taste, as well as slandering of the reputation of the five good men who have accepted the office of President should they be voted in by the Council of Elders. Since I can post again, I can answer some of those comments. This blog, when I write to it (which is not often), is often a wry reflection on my life. Often this means comments on hurricanes or going to the library, or writing, all of which happen a bit too often, perhaps.

My last entry, however, was a bit of a departure, as it was a spoof of the Roman Catholic polls on the election of the new pope. In that case, the political and conservative Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the putative favorite, was chosen to be the head of the Catholic Church. I have no idea how my odds will fare. However, it was not my intention that any of the five men who are up for the office suffer at all in their reputation due to my humble blog. They are all, as far as I know, good men. Of the five I know Mr. Franks the best, and he is a fantastic instructor at ABC of a difficult subject (the Fundamentals of Belief, Part One), besides having a great interest in Church of God history (which I share). I know Mr. Kilough a little bit, having friends who are always talking him up. My grandmother, who was a registered nurse before retiring, once worked under Mr. Kilough while serving at a feast site, and commented especially on how good of a boss he was. I am sure that others who have served under him would share similar comments. I know Mr. Dean only a little, but that is because I have missed chances to talk to him in greater detail when he visited the congregations I attended while I was away. Some of my friends know him rather well, though, and I think my parents know him a little. By all accounts he is an open, honest, and considerate person, who learned a lot from his years as the personal assistant of HWA (patience, forebearance, etc.). I don't really know Mr. McCullough all that well, but I thought he served in an excellent manner in his first run as UCG President, and I said so. Coming in at a difficult time, the departure of Mr. Hulme, he led a steady course and relatively smooth sailing for three years. I don't know Mr. Bradford much at all, either personally or by reputation, so there's not much I can say about him. However, as far as I can tell, there are no power-hungry autocrats or would-be dictators in this bunch of people, which is a good thing. And, as a member of United, I can feel good about that. After all, I could not in good conscience go to a church if I did not have some respect for the leaders of it. And with that, I will leave my next oddsmaking, a joke about myself.

Which degree will Nathan get next?

M.B.A.
Favorite (5:1 odds)

The classic next step from a bachelors in civil engineering, the MBA provides business education for the engineering manager (or would-be manager) in us all. Possible programs include Regis University, or something around where I live.

M.C.M.
Dark Horse (10:1 odds)

The M.C.M., or Master's in Construction Management, is a dark horse not because I don't like this major, but because few universities have it. Also, my unwillingness to draw on large amounts of student loans to get a master's degree would work against this major, unless a fellowship or something like that can be found.

M.Geog
Dark Horse (10:1 odds)

The M.Geog, or Master's of Geography, is a possibility because of my native inclination in the subject, which is a lot like history, only with maps. Woo hoo! Um, those who know me well have heard my comments on the Urban Geography class I took last semester at USF, and how much I liked it. I got an A+ in the class, and if I can find a good fellowship for the major, I will definitely look into it. It would be a good major, with an interest perhaps in political geography (maybe I should quit while I'm ahead)...

M.Hist
Dark Horse (10:1 odds)

A Master's in History is a possibility mainly because I minored in history and enjoy the subject so much. As with Geography, though, this would be a useful degree only if it led to a Ph.D., which is going to take a lot of work and study, and something I am not interested in running up huge debts to do. However, it would be a subject that suits me, at any rate, even if the prospects of a white male historian finding tenure-track positions in academia are rather daunting.

M.S.C.E.

Longshot (100:1 odds)

A Master's in Civil Structural Engineering is not going to happen. Microstructural analysis? I don't think so.

And there you have it, my latest blog entry.

1 comment:

Richard said...

I don't know you well enough to put any money on this one! :-->

To be honest, though, I used to keep under-my-breath "ordination odds" on certain people in my old WCG congregation. They were based on the things they were doing and the fruit they displayed -- and they turned out to be pretty accurate.

In fact, I called the ordination of two deaconesses on the day it happened, as I gave two people a ride to church. But I think that's easier to pick than who will become UCG President. I'll settle for prayer on that one.

http://ColumbusGA.blogspot.com