Saturday, March 25, 2006

Skunks

I love skunks. While most people are afraid of skunks because of their rather unpleasant spray, I have never worried about skunks because I share their personality type and because I take special care to show affection and love to that which is unfairly ignored and slighted by others. I am of the belief that other people will defend what is easily defended, and will love what is easily loveable. It takes special care to defend that which other people are hostile to, or to bring up with ohter people unfairly slight, or to love what other people neglect and fear. After all, our character is shown by how we treat those who are least regarded, not how we treat those whom everyone loves and respects.

Skunks are actually quite extraordinary animals. They are of that personality type that I call "defensive-massive retaliation." This would be, incidentally enough, my own natural personality type. That is, skunks are not aggressive, but when attacked or threatened (and they can be a bit jumpy about threats) they are very unpleasant. The same is true for me when I feel attacked or threatened. Skunks spray (and the truth, like skunks, can stink to the high heavens), and they also claw and bite. In other words, don't mess with a skunk. However, people react the wrong way to skunks--by fearing and avoiding skunks, rather than respecting skunks, and me, as they ought.

Skunks are very friendly animals. They are hyper and energetic, and love to be cuddled and pet. Though many people do not take the time to get to know them, out of misplaced fear, they are very outgoing and social creatures, even if they are outcasts. They appreciate and love those who appreciate and love them, and those people are few and far between. They are clever and intelligent, and a tad on the vengeful side, and often have the strange habit of biting toes (this is a quality I do not share, for those remotely curious). Despite being members of the weasel family, like ferrets and minks, they are not known for being particularly sneaky or duplicitous, but are rather avoided altogether.

During a sermon once, my pastor at the time (Mr. Webber), called the prophet Nathan the first skunk in the bible. At that point I realized my parents had given me the perfect name and the perfect namesake. Although I had been interested in biblical Nathans before that time (I do, after all, have a healthy and somewhat Hebraic interest in the importance of naming), that made me study the relationship between the name and the namesake, and my favorite animal, all the more closely. After all, the relationship between skunks and I had now become a somewhat obvious thing, to others as well as myself.

As I reflect upon my own life experience as an outcast, I reflect that there was meaning and importance to the suffering. It made me a lot more sensitive about other people (and animals) than I would been, and allowed me to relate to others who suffer equally unjustly. My suffering allowed me to serve a useful purpose, by comforting the afflicted and by loosening the chain on the oppressed, something that many pay lip service to but few actually do. It made me a patron saint of unpopular but necessary causes, because I figured (rightly) that if one is going to suffer, one should at least suffer for righteousness' sake, rather than for stupidity and error. And skunks, therefore, became my motto, because our struggle is the same--the struggle for love and respect in a world that ignores, slights, attacks, and fears us. Who couldn't love a cute little black and white striped animal when one realized how unfairly it had been treated. If I had an ideal pet, it would be a skunk. For, to paraphrase Churchill, cats look down on you, dogs look up to you, but skunks look at you as an equal.

4 comments:

Brett said...

I love skunks, too. My favorite species is probably the spotted...

As far as naming is concerned, "Brett" means breton or "from Britain." Hmm. No Biblical figures share my first name. Brett Favre's about the only famous Brett I can think of, and I don't even like football. At least I live in Wisconsin. See, my parents named me so because they liked the sound of the name (I'm not a fan of the "r" myself) and it doesn't end in "k," which seems to be more problematic than "t" in preceding the initial "h" in my last name. People have made mistakes with my father's full name because the end of "Mike" can eclipse the beginning of the surname. I'm also interested that "k" must be aspirated in such and environment, while "t" doesn't necessarily (hence the more optimal choice); in fact, for clarity, it usually isn't. These consonants usually have identical environments for their aspiration rules--"kite" and "tight" differ only in the initial consonant, but both "k" and "t" are aspirated. On the other hand, aspiration is blocked by the "s" in "scanned" and "stand"; the "k" and "t" sounds are both unaspirated. So, the [vowel][k or t][h] environment produces different results here, oddly enough. Probably because k is articulated using the back of the tongue, which can aid in providing stricture sufficient to make the "h" audible. Also, the "k" is more commonly aspirated word-finally than "t"--"kick" versus "kit." Though the "t" would normally be aspirated there, it is less necessary than aspirating the "k."

Wow. So, there's your linguistic writeup for that day. And that was probably more than you've ever thought--or cared to think--about the difference in aspiration of voiceless consonants.

Nathan said...

When I say my first and last name together, or spell them as one word, people often combine the last syllable of my first name with the first syllable of my last name, which is a most unfortunate linguistic error. So I often use my middle name--because the n and b sound makes it obvious the boundary between my first and last name. That was a charming linguistic lesson, though.

Brett said...

You could try inserting a glottal stop between your first and last names. I bet no one would make the mistake then!

Thanks! I can think of very few people who would have enjoyed that!

Nathan said...

This is true. I had not thought of that. Perhaps I should write my last name as starting with an aleph instead of an A, which would get rid of that particular mistake :-p...