Friday, December 09, 2005

Frequency

Today, while on an errand at work to get a semi-retired engineer to seal some plans, I had the opportunity to watch a rippling pond and I wondered about sinosidal waves (that's because I'm an engineer, probably). It made me ponder that certain frequencies that are very calming to me. Considering the brief time I have available this night to comment on them, I will look at them and ponder the oddities of their patterns.

Music:

As I am a (somewhat) irritable person, I need things to calm me down and relax me, as I can be somewhat high-strung. It is fortunate that I like to listen to melodic music, as well as sing and play the viola. Music has a calming effect on me, soothing the wild beast, if you will. It is noteworthy that I am attracted to certain types of music, though, that demonstrate certain patterns. Pop music, with its very narrow constraints involving chords, or baroque and classical music, with their patterns of harmonies and rhythms, meet the bill. Rap music, sadly, does not.

Water:

Bodies of water are very relaxing to me, even from childhood. I can sit for hours (this is a hard task, you ever tried to get me to sit still?) watching the ocean, or a lake, or a stream. There is something in the pattern of the waves and ripples that is relaxing and soothing. The same is true even of watching a rainstorm, which is quite soothing as well. It was a favorite pasttime of mine when I was a child (well, rather, playing in the rain at least). Watching waves is one of the most enjoyable things to do at the beach of course, at least if I want to relax. Relaxation is a rare thing for me, so at least it's good to know some places to go.

Rolling Country/Rollercoasters:

My father's family lives in the gently rolling hill country of Eastern Pennsylvania. I find great contentment in riding in cars along such country (less enjoyment, as can be imagined, hiking the country, unless it is with good friends as I did in northern England once). Incidentally enough, I like rollercoasters for the same reason. I'm not a big fan of the loops, but I love the ups and downs of a rollercoaster, especially the wooden ones, which have an organic feel to them, instead of the jerky and abrupt steel roller coasters (though I still like those).

Conclusions:

Is there a reason for this odd sort of attraction to sine and cosine waves? I don't know, but it sure is interesting to think about (at least for me). I wonder if anyone else has the same sort of odd contentment in such cyclical patterns as I do...

4 comments:

Richard said...

Uh oh, I have bad news for you. My pastor preaches against roller coasters.

They're dangerous, you know. They're too "on the edge," you might say.

True Christians don't ride roller coasters. Now, what sort of bread do you eat???

Nathan said...

Hmmm...I enjoy pumpernickle, the occasional rye, and those yummy subway breads like paremesian oregano and Italian herbs and cheese. Or white bread. Definitely white bread. And sometimes wheat, honey wheat in particular. As long as it's not sourdough, I'm probably at least okay with it (or Wonder bread--eek, that stuff is terrible).

But what's this about rollercoasters being on the edge and dangerous? Does this person believe that speeds over 5 mph in a car are dangerous too like the horse and buggy enthusiasts of the early 1900's? Who is your pastor anyway? He definitely needs to find a clue or two.

Richard said...

What -- no WHOLE-WHEAT bread?? Ooh boy....

I'll name names. Pastor Ken Martin, UCG of Macon/Columbus, GA. (Hoping he gets well soon; he's had a respiratory infection for a couple of weeks.)

Nathan said...

Um, I eat whole wheat bread on occasion, but generally those kinds of bread that toast well and don't taste like something I would feed a horse. As far as Mr. Martin goes, perhaps he needs to get on over to Six Flags a bit more. They have some charming roller coasters over there that might help him gradually overcome his fear of being "on the edge." I hope he gets well too.