Friday, April 14, 2006

The Waiter Rule

Apparently, many CEO's have an interesting test for determining the fitness of people for executive positions that would be useful in organizations across the board. The test is called "The Waiter Rule" and the rule is very simple--the character of people can be determined by how one treats waiters in a restaurant. Anyone can be nice to those who have power, but it is how we treat others who we can be seen as having some control over (for example, waiters are the most common types of "servants" most people deal with in their regular lives, though it would also apply to security guards, maids, and so forth).

As someone who frequently dines alone, I personally enjoy establishing a repoire with the waiters or waitresses at restaurants. Being a somewhat habitual person, I tend to eat at the same places often, so long as their food and service is consistent and decent. I've never been a waiter myself (the thought of my clumsiness being subjected to remarkable feats of balance with plates, glasses, and trays is a less than appealing thought), but I have a lot of friends and family who have been waitresses. Mostly, it seems as if the experience is generally poor.

I know that as a customer into a restaurant for the first time, generally as a young man with a somewhat intent and serious look on the face eating alone, many restaurant staffs tend to be somewhat skeptical. There are many times where my initial service has been somewhat indifferent, but I resolved to tip well anyway merely to prove a point. I am more interested in establishing rather friendly relations with waiters at restaurants, rather than pitilessly enforcing a just standard of renumeration. After all, I figure (generally correctly) that if waiters and waitresses do not have to fear that I will stiff them on tips, they will serve me very well. This has proven to be the case most of the time, as I can engage in somewhat witty banter about my favorite dishes on the menu, and why I order the same thing so often.

A friend of mine has an interesting rule when it comes to tips himself, and it is one well worth considering. Average service merits the regular 15% tip, good service merits 25%, and really good service gets a minimum tip of $3, regardless of the price of the meal. Personally, I think such rules of thought demonstrating generosity are a major positive incentive towards servers. In general, I consider positive reinforcements to be better than merely negative punishments. That is, however, another rather large subject for another time.

The point here, though, is that the way we treat waiters reveals a lot about ourselves. The Bible is very clear on this point (and the Passover season is a good time to reflect upon on it) as well, in agreement. God shows no partiality (that is, favorable treatment merely to those who are powerful), and neither should we. We should treat everyone with respect, honor, and consideration. This respect should not come from merely an egoism that looks for personal benefit, but from a mindframe than all human beings are worthy of dignity and kindness, and that station has no importance when it comes to human decency. This is the Bible's clear doctrine, as difficult as it may be to put into practice.

It is especially important (and difficult) to maintain this sort of friendliness and goodwill when mistakes happen, as they inevitably do. For example, the salad one orders at a restaurant one is visiting for the first time may have ingredients one does not like, or cannot eat (is that mango salsa?). Or there may be accidents, or the server may make mistakes. Occasionally, servers may be inattentive, distracted, or busy (it happens to the best of us sometimes), and the glass of sweet tea or root beer may run a little dry. How we handle difficult situations reveals a lot about our character. A wry comment or soft word can make things much easier for all around, even if soft words do not come easily for some of us.

So, how do you treat waiters? How many of you have been waiters before? Or are you, like me, merely a frequent patron of restaurants and a (hopefully) patient one? I would be interested in hearing what people have to say about the food service industry. With so many jobs in service right now (customer service would also fall under this rule as well), it is sad that such jobs are so difficult because of the rude behavior of others. Hopefully that cannot be said about any of us. After all, respect for the lowest of society is one of the most important signals of fitness for the highest reaches of society, both now and hereafter.

10 comments:

Paul said...

Interesting. I'm generally fairly tolerant regarding service, especially during busy times, and usually tip in the 25-30% range unless there is some grevious problem. My pet peeves regarding servers are making me wait an inordinately long time for the bill and secondly poor service while I see the assigned server chatting with other employees or customers. It seems to me service as a whole in my city has declined over the years though and that some parts of town I get consistently better service than others.

Oh yes, another pet peeve is the server who takes the order without writing it down, attempting to impress me with their memory. Invariably it gets messed up.

Hmm, maybe I'm not as tolerant as I thought. I don't take it out on the waiter but usually don't go back. There is never a reason to be abusive to the staff.

I've never been a waiter but can guess it is a tough and demanding job. It is a great pleasure though to sit down to a good meal with great service.

Nathan said...

Oh yes, a meal with good food and good service is certainly much appreciated. I have noticed that some restaurants are staffed at rather low levels, forcing servers to wait for that lull period between the lunch rush and the dinner crowd to prepare utensil sets and so forth. At any rate, I found the USA Today article that enspired the entry rather interesting and thought-provoking.

Alan D Campbell said...

Servers generally have found the Sunday church crowd to be the worst tippers and bikers to be the best tippers. Church people seem to think that if they leave a religious track that it relieves them from the duty to tip well. Of course, that is not defensible from the Bible. A worker is worthy of his hire.

Nathan said...

Yes, Paul made that point visibly clear, and he was not the only one to do so. I have many friends who dread working Sunday brunch because they are around some awful tippers who give them these tracts that say things like "Here's your tip--Be saved!" and so forth.

Paul said...

It never occurred to me to leave a church booklet instead of a tip. I can just leave a copy of What is Your Destiny instead of money. Terrific. Be ye warmed and filled.

Nathan said...

The thought never occurred to me either.

Michael said...

As a part-time waiter, I've received my share of religious tracts in lieu of actual $$$. The worst thing about Sundays is that you get slammed with party after party, particularly in my current restaurant - and they aren't necessarily the best tippers.

Nathan said...

I can see how that would be a big problem.

Richard said...

I've never been a restaurant server ("waiter" is SO 20th-century, you know). When I think of dining out, I think of my late Father more than the servers.

Growing up, I was convinced my Dad personally knew every server in metro Kansas City. He was often talkative, usually humorous, and tried to be as friendly as he could.

I still use some of his one-liners today -- and I'll never forget how I made a good friend's jaw almost hit the floor, when I used one in a nice San Francisco restaurant.

So I guess the "takeout" verse here is Prov. 18:24.

P.S. I have worked in a restaurant as a dishwasher. Methinks that's an even more thankless job than a server.

Nathan said...

As far as the term waiter (or waitress, for that matter) being so 20th century, I have a prediliction for terms that are far older than that, so I will take a 20th century term as being current in my vocabulary.

It's good that you know some one-liners from your father there to put servers (however you want to call them) as ease. It is possible that being a dishwasher at a restaurant is a more thankless task than being a server. After all, dishwashers do not receive tips, nor do they receive the opportunity to pinch (that is, steal, in 19th century lingo) them.

My best friend once worked as a dishwasher for a certain Denny's-like restaurant chain. To this day he refuses to eat at the restaurant because of their practices with regards to sanitizing plates.

I suppose you're right about the takeout verse. I don't know about what verse is the delivery one, though.