Thursday, April 27, 2006

Why Georgia Why?

E-mail is a strange thing. I grew up with computers and the internet. I first used it when I was ten years old, when a friend of mine had an old Prodigy account. I got my first e-mail address around my 14th birthday when I got a Suncoast FreeNet account. Alas, Suncoast FreeNet and all of the other FreeNets have gone way the way of the dodo--they offered text-based e-mail for free, but the demand for ever more visually intensive e-mails made their service obsolete (except to those people, like my parents, for whom comfort is not a concern, but price is).

A lot of us depend rather heavily on e-mail, for a variety of purposes. For example, I use e-mail as a relatively frequent form of communication, and use it to stay connected with my many friends and acquaintances who are far, far away. I use it for amusement, playing several games of Play-By-E-mail (PBEM for shot) Diplomacy. It should go without saying that I use e-mail frequently at work: I submit plans to some states (namely Georgia) using e-mail. I also receive almost all of the plans I review by e-mail and send back corrections by e-mail frequently as well (this is because I am most clear, and even personal, in the more impersonal forms of communication).

The state of Georgia, apparently, does not like me, at least by e-mail. A lot of the people I work with are in Georgia. Some of the readers of my blog are also in the state of Peaches and Pecans. However, when it comes to work e-mails, I have been unable to send or receive anything Georgian. This is obviously a problem.

What is the reason for the sudden cold shoulder from state that has been relatively nice to me in times past? The answer is unclear. At this point, my coworkers suspect that our server is on the fritz. Apparently Georgia is not the only state that our server does not like--it does not appear to like Indiana either. Apparently it likes Florida, though, as we continue to see the junk mail sent by the Ft. Lauderdale junk e-mail billionaire's club. Too bad they can't spell correctly and incorrectly assume a lot of things about me (and what I supposedly want or need in my life). Oh well. Our server does like North Carolina, which is nice, but I don't have to send any work e-mails there, so that is about as useful as sneakers for a snake.

Which is to say, it is not very useful at all.

4 comments:

Brett said...

I was born in Rome. Georgia.

All the misspellings are likely attempts to avoid filtration.

Nathan said...

Yes, I believe that the terrible spelling of spammers is an attempt to avoid being filtered. I was born in Pennsylvania, but my mother was born in Atlanta, Georgia.

At any rate, I found out yesterday afternoon that Verizon, Bell South, and some of the other Baby Bell ISPs added aggressive new spam filters on both incoming and outgoing mail that failed to stop the spam, but blocked my work e-mails (which often have attachment files in .dwg or .pdf form) and those of the drafters/engineers who send the files to me.

Richard said...

I'd think Georgia companies would welcome .dwg attachments. After all, people here spell the University of Georgia team nickname as "Dawgs" all the time!

And you know, that may explain the answer to your Georgia e-mails being stymied. Maybe it's revenge for Florida winning the NCAA basketball title.

Nathan said...

But I don't even like the Florida Gators. I would think that Autocad would be popular in Georgia, but that doesn't appear to be the case.