Saturday, May 14, 2005

We're Very Concerned

The title for this entry comes from "Leminy Snickett's: A Series of Unfortunate Events." Today's blog will be about the sermon messages from Mr. Holladay and Mr. Kilough, since the day has held little else of interest besides those messages and endless permutations of interpretation of those messages (particularly Mr. Kilough's, which will take up the majority of this rant) afterwards. So, without any further ado, here goes.

Mr. Holladay's message was good. I had only minor quibbles about the message, but overall I was pleased by his focus on the programs that United has offered for its membership, especially the youth. Also, showing appreciation to the membership (for their service) and the elders (for theirs) was much appreciated. The only quibble I had about the message was his comment that members were the greatest asset of the United Church of God. I take umbrage to that, because I am not owned by the corporation that is UCGia, and hence I am not an "asset." Perhaps it was meant as a compliment, but I take it as an insult. That was, however, a minor annoyance, relating as it did to a different language spoken by managers and employees.

The message by Mr. Kilough was more problematic. His incessant focus on the need in the church for more zeal was not reassuring, and I had no clear understanding of the end to which he sought our greater zeal. I was also very nonplussed by his call for a fast (a fast about what, exactly), and I was not sure as to the point of his message, or whether he was aiming more to being the next Nehemiah or being the next Rehoboam. I guess time will tell. I sent an e-mail to him, though, expressing my concerns. I hope he takes it for the best...

2 comments:

Richard said...

The UCG congregation I attend isn't high-tech enough to tune in a webcast -- or even dial in a phone patch. We watched a videotaped sermon instead.

But based on what you wrote:

1. I'd rather be called an asset than a liability.

2. I know you're not supposed to tell anyone you're fasting, but I did fast on May 3 as the Council of Elders met about a President. Does that make me 1-up on everyone else?

3. May there be zeal -- but according to knowledge, as Paul put it.

Nathan said...

Oh well. Good for you about the fasting bit. Honestly, I don't ask others about their fasting, and I don't tell others about mine (it's not their business or mine). Personally, I'd rather not be on the balance sheet at all. I'm a human being, and being treated as an item on a balance sheet, even collectively (which is worse), is offensive to me. As far as zeal and knowledge go...you need both of them...one is not enough...