Friday, May 27, 2005

Reflections on the Political Development of a Loyal Oppositionist

Yesterday I completed a short essay entitled "Second Thoughts on the IB Exception," which is a reflection on my first political document, called the IB Exception. The essay looks at the circumstances that surrounded my first (but not the last) foray into pampleteering and political discourse, a protest against school authorities seeking to increase discipline when they were unable to fulfill their basic responsibilities to educate, provide textbooks, and so forth. Those who cannot handle the power they have do not deserve more power and control over others. The IB Exception, oddly enough, did not get me into trouble (perhaps it encouraged my later/current efforts), and my complaints were answered in time. Why does it seem like those in power are so quick to increase the coercive powers of central government when they are so pitiful at their tasks as servants of the people?
Perhaps we are a bit too human sometimes, but I was always predisposed to be a loyal oppositionist towards those in power. While some would consider such a stand to be oxymoronic, at best, both are essential aspects of my political worldview in the broadest possible ways. The loyal part of the worldview is an active participation in the efforts of whatever group I happen to be a part of (whether that is a school, a professional group like the American Society of Civil Engineers, or the United Church of God, or even such groups as my family) as well as a commitment to obedience to God as well as an avoidance of violent and disruptive means of discontent. That part cannot be emphasized enough. However, it cannot be forgotten that in my political development I have defined myself in opposition to entrenched power, wherever or however it may be found. At the basic level, I don't trust other people--especially people with power involving me in any sort of fashion. On a more intellectual level, though, I feel the need to point out what is lacking (as, inevitably, something is always lacking in any human organization and effort) so that reform from within may lead to greater improvements and amelioration of existing conditions. By nature I tend to shy away from violent and public conflicts, but that does not make my opposition any less strong on occasion. Just because we're realistic and have to deal with the imperfections of humanity doesn't mean we shouldn't always strive for perfection and seek constant improvement of ourselves and our institutions. Such is the life, I suppose. At least it provides a lot of material to write about.

No comments: